Foremost on my mind is Bennet's health. A few weeks ago he was diagnosed as a "colicky" baby. Personally I think it's a bs diagnosis - it just means that he cries a lot and we don't know why. Regardless, bs or not, he does cry almost all the time unless he's being held, and event then he cries a lot. It is pretty difficult to carry a baby around all the time, especially when you have a toddler who needs some attention too. Now he has a cold & has difficulty breathing and sleeping because of it. For the past 2 nights I had no more than 2 hours of sleep by the time 5:30am rolled around. I took him to the doctor this Monday, and it turns out that the cold has given him an ear infection, so he's now taking an antibiotic for that. Also, he projectile vomits a lot - I mean buckets! It was once in a while at first, but he's done it 4 times in the last 24 hours. I did a bad thing & looked up possible causes & of course found the scariest one that would require surgery. We are treating him for regular acid reflux, but if it gets worse, we'll take him in for some real tests. (I'm sure he's fine - but prayers will help)
This has been a tough six weeks for our June-Buggy too. With Bennet requiring so much attention, she's really felt the lack of it. Sometimes this manifests in harmless, even cute ways. She likes to pretend to nurse, she wants to be in the lap of whomever is holding Bennet, she wants to cuddle often. Unfortunately, she's been lashing out too by biting, pinching, and scratching her toddler friends. Their parents have all been very understanding, but we're working hard to nip this in the bud. It's been more difficult to stop then I would have expected. We really have tried everything, and Tuesday we had a good day at daycare with no "incidents," but please pray for Junia as well.
As for Kirk & me, we could use sleep! I have the same cold that Bennet has, and it's taking awhile to kick it since I'm not sleeping enough. Still, I have it easier than my husband. Kirk is trying to finish his dissertation, he's applying for jobs and he's teaching a class. This is not an easy load, especially with two kids at home.
Last week he went for an interview at Presbyterian College in South Carolina. Kirk loved the school, the religion department, and the students there. We should hear in about 2 weeks if they want to extend him an invitation to teach there. Please be praying for our future, for whatever God has in store for us.
Some other things on our minds: Ray, my mother's father, died last week, so we are praying for him and his family. Benjamin, our 4 month old nephew, is recovering nicely from a bout of croup and RSV (a respiratory illness that is really scary for babies).
Also, we'd love to hear from all of you - if we can be praying for you for anything.
These are pictures we take with stuffed animals to show how much the kids are growing. Can you believe Junia used to be smaller than that bear?


6 comments:
It does seem like a lot of stuff is going on! We'll be praying for you guys! Hope the colicky baby thing gets better--more sleeps means more functioning and peace of mind. I think the hardest part of baby #2 is that the sleep deprivation is so hard-I think I hit my wall sometime around month 2... but it will get better!
Can't wait to hear about the job possibility! Sounds great!
Hello my darling friend! My prayers are with you and have been. I wish I lived in 6B and could come help you! I love you and am routing for the job at PC!!!!!!! Its great to be a Blue Hose!
Hi There! Hang in there! We had some of the same difficulties with David. He had acid reflux as well. I am happy to pass along some tips if you are in need (or the mood!). Mostly, keeping him upright during and after feedings helped a lot. The doctor told us at least 20 minutes after each feed. This is extra fun in the middle of the night!! We also went through some of the biting fun too! Again, I am happy to pass along what we did if you want some ideas. Hang in there, this is by far the most challenging time! It will get better soon. We are thinking of all four of you!
ohman! definitely a lot of stuff going on with you guys. we will keep you in our prayers! adley was colicky and refluxy for the first three months- it was a nightmare! I called my mom in tears asking her to come help me after 4 weeks because I was so sleep deprived I couldn't function, and I needed to finished my thesis, and had just moved to so-cal- definitely some of the hardest months of my life- so I definitely can relate! (but, fortunately it was with my first, I can't imagine all that with a toddler needing my attention also!) I'm soooo sorry! I'm sure you've already read it, but a neighbor told us about Dr. Marc Weissbluth's books on sleep and colicky babies, we read them and the philosophy really fit Adley needs, and helped us a ton- so if you haven't read them already and have any braincells left to process anything right now, I highly recommend them. Sending our love and prayers!! xoxo
Hope things are settling down now!
So bummed to hear about this, Trish! Jim and I will be praying for you all - for Bennet's colic, Junia's adapting, Kirk's job prospects and sleep - BLISSFUL SLEEP - for you, mamacita!!
Big kisses and hugs from SF!
Post a Comment